Lee Chapel Cemetery - Chronology of Lee Chapel

Chronology of Lee Chapel

1860’s   Mount Carmel Methodist Church (located on Ox Road & Lee Chapel Rd) destroyed by fire

1871       Original lot of 1 acre surveyed for Lee Chapel - donated by Leonard O. Cook

1871       Lee Chapel Methodist Church dedicated

1871       Survey of Lee Chapel refers to what is now Lee Chapel Road as Mill Road

1887       Lee Chapel acquired additional one-half acre donated by John Mahon and his wife, Jennie

1903       Lee Chapel Epworth League chapter 5832 was organized  and functioned until nearly 1920

1909       Sydenstricker Methodist Church founded by Rev. Sydenstricker

1910       Vestibule, bell tower and concrete walk added to Lee Chapel

1915       Lee Chapel acquired one additional acre for consideration of $5.00 from Clarence H. Kruse and his wife, Johanna.  April 1915

1915       Survey of Lee Chapel refers to what is now Lee Chapel Road as Burke Station Road

1916       Lee Chapel Epworth League shows membership of 84

1923       Lee Chapel closed due to dwindling membership and impassable roads

1929       Burke Methodist Church founded

1939       August 6th Lee Chapel  re-opened

1940       A well was dug and connected with a hand pump

1949       Lee Chapel electric lights installed

1951       Lee Chapel closed (October) due to proposed Burke International Airport (16 of the 22 member families were impacted by the threat of losing their homes through eminent domain and by 1952 most had moved away.

1952       The first entry in the Steward’s book, dated August 6, 1939 was $25.46.  The last entry   (1951)shows a balance of $10.62

1955       Circa mid 1950’s Lee Chapel razed through a controlled burn following incidents of vandalism

1986       Plans revealed to route the Fairfax County Parkway through Lee Chapel Cemetery

1988       Lee Chapel Cemetery saved from being taken for the Fairfax County Parkway project

2017       Website developed on Lee Chapel

2018       Easter Sunrise services returned to Lee Chapel Cemetery by Burke United Methodist Church