A Pump Organ was donated to Lee Chapel at the reopening in 1939 by Little Shepherd’s Church. When Lee Chapel was closed in 1951 the Organ, Bible and Communion Set were dispersed for safekeeping to some Church members. The following known items have been returned to these Methodist Churches:
Lee Chapel Bible Sydenstricker United Methodist
Lee Chapel Communion Set Sydenstricker United Methodist
1939 Pump Organ Burke United Methodist (Still in progress
Note: Some believe the Lee Chapel pews were donated in 1951 to a now unknown Mennonite Church .
Note: Through her family (Simpson), Susan Meeks-Versteeg is arranging for the Lee Chapel Pump Organ to be returned and honored at a Methodist Church – namely Burke United Methodist.
CHRONOLOGY OF GUARDIANSHIP OF LEE CHAPEL’S PUMP ORGAN - 1951 TO PRESENT (2017)
1951 - ? Mrs. W.F Halley
195? – 1974 Frances Rice Simpson (organist at Lee Chapel from 1939-1951)
1974 – 2016 Bernard (Bud) Bruce Simpson
2016 – 2019 William Shifflet
2019 - present Burke United Methodist Church
KNOWN ORGANISTS OF LEE CHAPEL
Mary Fleming - first organist to ever play at Lee Chapel
Rena Rice Carter - began playing for the Church about 1902 at age 13
Frances Rice Simpson - played 1939- 1951